Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 12: No Lah!

This morning, I wanted to have a bit more bonding time with Mom and Dad so I brought them to a nearby hawker store to get them to try out local breakfast food here in Singapore.

Breakfast:
Milk Tea
Soft Boiled Eggs
Kaya Toast
Laksa
Nasi Lemak

I was particularly amused watching Mom as she ate. I could tell that Mom did not enjoy the food at all! When Mom does not like something, she would usually purse her lips. She pursed her small and cute lips after each bite! Hahaha! (of course I was laughing inside =P)
I asked her later on about it and she admitted to me that she found the place a bit "marungis" or dingy, for lack of a better term. In the past, I've always taken them to touristy restaurants and never really tried to get them to imbibe the local scene.
Her observation amused me as it brought me back to the day when I had my first breakfast here in Singapore. To cut a very long (and interesting - I will share it later) story short, I was mildly shocked when the "hotel" staff gave me a breakfast coupon and directed me to a nearby hawker. The hawker was filled with ageing men wearing faded shirts and sandos. Still uncertain and a bit perplexed, I handed the coupon to a sleepy guy in front of a red tub who unceremoniously dunked into the red tub and presented me with a bowl of beehon.
Beehon for breakfast from a tub?!?!

Seven years after,  beehon with 2 luncheon meat, 2 eggs, and kopi teh became my regular breakfast meal.
Seven years after, I forgot that my "Manila mall bred" Mom would find my regular eating hang outs as dingy!

Cannot bring her there again, lah!

No comments:

Post a Comment